Man on phone after accident

Who Do I Report My Accident To?

man on phone with insurance company after an accidentThere are many things that you must do following a car accident, including reporting the accident to the necessary parties. However, there is more than one party that you want to report the accident to when it comes time for such an action.

Of course, one of the things you want to ensure you do is talk to a lawyer, especially when you’re dealing with large insurance companies out to protect their profits. Immediately following the crash, though, these are two entities with whom you should report your accident.

The Local Authorities

At the scene of the accident, you should take the time to report the accident to the local authorities. Many people are under the impression they don’t have to, especially in a small fender bender, but if you’re unsure, you should report it and the law enforcement agency will decide if an officer needs to be on scene.

Law enforcement helps each side exchange information in a cordial manner, and they can serve a great purpose in your claim. The officer will put together an accident report that can contain statements from all parties involved and witnesses to help aid in your potential claim.

Your Insurance Provider

Time is of the essence after a crash, and the longer you wait to report your accident, the more damage it can cause your claim. Reporting the accident quickly allows you to get your statement on record, but also be sure that you are aware of your legal rights, even if dealing with your own insurance provider.

There are far too many instances in which insurance companies try to take advantage of claimants to protect profits. You want to make sure you have the necessary legal guidance to level the playing field and provide you with knowledge regarding what to expect in the process.

At Springer & Steinberg, P.C., we stand ready to protect your rights. With our Denver car accident attorneys on your side, you can pursue the compensation you need after an accident to recover lost income, medical expenses, property damage, and more.

Call us today at (303) 861-2800 for your free consultation.


Contact Us Today

Start Your Free Consultation by Filling out the Form Below
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.