How Can I Obtain a Police Accident Report After a Colorado Traffic Accident?

At Springer & Steinberg, P.C., our Colorado auto accident attorneys and support staff know that working out the details of a vehicle collision can be overwhelming.

When an accident with injuries happens, a law enforcement officer will arrive at the scene, gather evidence, call in medical services, and file an accident report to reflect how the accident occurred.

If you are hurt in a crash and would like to pursue financial compensation from the negligent driver that caused your injuries, multiple factors will affect your ability to file a successful personal injury claim in Colorado.

The first is ensuring you seek medical care and follow all doctor’s orders for the duration of your treatment plan, and another one of many includes gaining access to the police accident report.

Here is how you can obtain a copy of your crash report.

How Do I Obtain a Copy of a Colorado Crash Report?

All Colorado vehicle collision reports are documented and stored through the Colorado Department of Revenue.

If you would like to obtain a copy of your crash report, the following information is needed:

  • Name of the Driver
  • Date of the Crash
  • Case Report Number
  • Location of the Accident

Complete form DR2489, which is the Requestor Release and Affidavit of Intended Use, and supply the required fee of $9 and an additional $1 if would like the file to be a certified record, and send it to:

Colorado Department of Revenue

Division of Motor Vehicles

Driver Control, Room 164

PO Box 173345

Denver Colorado 80217-3345

You may also request a copy of the accident report in person by submitting the same Affidavit at:

Colorado Department of Motor Vehicles

1881 Pierce Street

Lakewood, Colorado 80214

You must allow 90 days for receipt of the accident report by the law enforcement agency and for the data to be entered into the driver’s license system.

The department maintains accident reports for seven years.

How Can I Request an Accident Report Directly from the Colorado Law Enforcement Agency that Filed It?

If a state or local police department filled out a crash report, contact the law enforcement agency directly, using the following accident report request links:

Our Springer & Steinberg Car Accident & Injury Attorneys Will Obtain Your Police Report For You

At Springer & Steinberg, our skilled Denver car accident lawyers provide a full range of legal representation that includes obtaining police reports and other important documents on our client’s behalf.

We do the legwork — from the beginning of each care through a negotiated settlement or jury verdict — so our clients can focus on regaining their physical and emotional well-being, so they can return to the quality of life they enjoyed before the accident.

If you have been hurt or have tragically lost a loved one to negligent circumstances anywhere in Colorado, contact our skilled personal injury attorneys at Springer & Steinberg by calling 303-861-2800 or online today to discuss the details of your case with a team of legal advocates who care about your future.

Our dedicated Colorado personal injury lawyers provide free consultations for all Colorado residents, and never charge any legal fees unless you make a recovery on your unique case.


Contact Us Today

Start Your Free Consultation by Filling out the Form Below

"*" indicates required fields

First Name*
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

© 2024 All Rights Reserved.